Tuesday, November 12, 2013

How to change the automatic boot time in Grub ?

If you like to use any Linux distribution which installs Grub 2 in your system and you want to make greater or lesser automatic boot time ( The highlighted entry will be booted automatically in 10 seconds. )  than you are in right blog.

Use this scenario according to your need:

I installed Ubuntu also side by side(creating new partitions) with Windows OS. When I start laptop my system asks me to select OS to boot and if I don't respond it to 10 seconds than it automatically boots Ubuntu which is my default OS. I want to change the respond time to 15 seconds.
My Grub Menu

Solution:

  1. Boot your PC/Laptop/Desktop/Computer and load Ubuntu (or any Linux distribution)
  2. Open Terminal (ctrl + alt + t  => in Ubuntu; if your system is shell or command prompt i.e. not a GUI than got to step 3)
  3. Type commands: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub/
  4. It may ask you to enter your password.
  5. Gedit, notepad like text editior, will open.
  6. Find the line with: GRUB_TIMEOUT=10             (This line holds the response waiting time in seconds.)
  7. Now, change the number 10 to 15 (this is in seconds)
  8. Save it and close
  9. Again, type command: sudo update-grub
  10. Now, reboot your system, you get 15 seconds as response waiting time.
Thank You! For reading this post.
If any doubts, you are free to ask in comments.

Similar Post: 

How to make Windows OS (or any OS) as default OS in GRUB 2 ?


Like Share Comment:

No comments:

Post a Comment