Monday, November 18, 2013

Blank Screen or Black Screen after 'Startx' in Backtrack

Hello readers! Today I am posting this post because I have faced this problem recently while using BackTrack Linux. I made a bootable linux usb and booted using it. Everything went okay until I wrote the command "Startx" for entering GUI of BackTrack R3; my screen went blank/black. Not any GUI items were displayed, neither mouse pointer; any keys of keyboard was not functioning. I than directly turned off my laptop pressing power button for few seconds. I solved the problem. (this problem can be solved by using this post)
I installed the BackTrack and loaded my BackTrack. But the problem arised again.

I than booted my laptop using "Ubuntu" and started to search it's solution too and I eventually found the solution to it.

SOLUTION:

Before entering command 'Startx'
  1. Enter the command: sudo nano /etc/default/grub (this opens the grub setting file)
  2. Go to line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text splash vga=791"
  3. Add the text: i915.modeset=1 after vga=791 i.e. that line must look like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="text splash vga=791 i915.modeset=1"
  4. Press [Ctrl] + [x]
  5. Press [y] (this saves the grub setting file)
  6. Enter the command: sudo update-grub
  7. Than, reboot the system by pressing command: sudo reboot
Now, your problem is solved.
Thank you!
Please share, like and tweet this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment